Importing Users via Batch Upload
You can do a bulk upload of new users or update user information via .csv using the Import feature on the Users dashboard.
This article covers:
- Creating a .csv file of new users to import
- Creating a .csv file of existing users to import
- Notes on filling out your .csv file
- Importing your .csv file
Creating a .csv File of New Users to Import
- On the Users page, click the Import button.
- Download the sample .csv file.
- Fill out the .csv file.
Fields may be custom mapped according to your needs. Please contact us for guidance if needed.
Creating a .csv File of Existing Users to Import
- Search or filter for the user(s) you want to export.
- When exporting data for one user, click the check box next to the user’s name.
When exporting data for multiple users click the Click here to select ALL users that match this filter message.
- Click Export.
- A .csv file is saved to the Downloads folder on your computer.
- Read the notes in the section below and the make the changes needed to your .csv file before importing it.
Notes on Filling Out Your .csv File
Please read the Notes below before filling out your .csv file.
- Using a .csv import to update user records overwrites the data that is currently in the platform for each user.
- The userid field must have a number in it. We recommend a consistent protocol in assigning user ids.
- If your user id's start with a zero, the zero will be dropped during the import process. We recommend adding a letter to the beginning of each id, such as "E" for an employee or "S" for a student.
- When you are updating the Groups and Tags for a user, you must include the original information that is assigned to each user, plus the new information for each user.
If you leave these columns blank the groups and tags associated with the user will be deleted.
- When updating the Group for a user, you must use the Code for the group in your .csv. You can find the Code under Settings -> Groups.
- The time in the reminderTime field of a .csv upload will override the current reminder times, regardless of a user customizing this field.
- When uploading users for the first time, set their status to Suspended so you can ensure all their information in the platform is correct. Once you’re certain everything is correct, import the .csv file again with the status changed to Active.
- When there are multiple entries for tags or groups, separate each entry with a comma, but do not add a space. For example: manager,technician
- If you want to notify a user via both SMS and email, enter both methods in the notifyVia field. For example: SMS,email
- When adding or changing a zone for users, you must add a column to the .csv file named zoneCode. This field should be populated with the zone Code. The zone Code can be found in the table of zones on the Settings -> Zone Management page.
A user can be assigned to one zone only.
When filling in the language field using the following format:
Importing the .csv File
- Remove any sample data from the .csv.
- Save the file, then close it.
- Click the Browse button to navigate to where the .csv is stored on your computer.
- The .csv columns display, as well as information about your import. Use this information to make any necessary changes to your .csv. If changes are needed, repeat step 6.If there is a match between the column in the .csv and the column name, the column is green. If there is no match, the column is white.If needed, use the drop-down arrow in each column to match the column in the database to the column in your .csv.
- Indicate if you want to create a new user when the userid field is left empty in the .csv file.
- Indicate if you want to update a user record or skip a user record when an existing user ID is found in the .csv file.
- Click the Import button at the bottom of the widget.
Watch a short video on uploading users via .csv: